Kearsney Easter Rugby Fest marquee Day 2 match cut short by lightning

What looked to be a thriller in the making was sadly extinguished when lightning forced the Glenwood vs Selborne match to be abandoned. Of the other KZN10 teams, hosts Kearsney went down by 5 points to Framesby while EG Jansen had too much in the tank for Durban High School.


Tracey van den Aardweg feature image: A panoramic view of a DHS vs EG Jansen lineout at the Standard Bank Kearsney Easter Festival.

Glenwood 10 Selborne 15 (match abandoned – lightning)

The game many were anticipating between Glenwood and Selborne, last played in 2013, was the final game of the second day. Both teams had been victorious in earlier matches, Glenwood snatching a win against EG Jansen in the final seconds, whilst Selborne won comfortably against Noord-Kaap.

An early penalty in the game by Warrick Day put Selborne into a 3-0 lead. JP van Zyl on the wing scored a try a little while later, to increase the lead to 8-0.  Lock Grant Pretorius stormed over midway in the half, converted by Day, for Selborne to lead 15-0.

Glenwood then scored a typical Glenwood try; when the ball passed through a number of hands ending with prop Blaine Golden scoring, converted by Jordan Hendrikse. Glenwood were back in the game 7-15 down at halftime.

Shortly after the break in dark conditions, Hendrikse narrowed the gap to 10-15 when he converted a long penalty from close to the touchline.

With lightning in the vicinity and the alarm sounding, the match was sadly suspended, and it was later decided the game should be abandoned.

Point scorers:
Selborne 15 Tries Van Zyl, Pretorius; Conversion Day; Penalty Day
Glenwood 10 Try Golden; Conversion Hendrikse; Penalty Hendrikse


Kearsney College 21 Framesby 26

The third match of the day saw hosts Kearsney College taking on Hoërskool Framesby, a well-conditioned unit from Port Elizabeth.

Framesby opened the score with a try by eighthman Ruan Claassen, converted by Juandre Liebenberg, for a 7-point lead after two minutes.

Kearsney came back with a try from a penalty close to the try-line, when fullback Derick Marshall burst over and, with the successful conversion by Cade Carmichael, the scores were level 7-7.


Kearsney scrumhalf Jordan Bamber sets his backs away against Framesby. Photo Tracey van den Aardweg


With Framesby winning the lion’s share of the ball, two further tries were scored, the first by flank Christo Grobler and the second by fullback Sebastian Brandt.

This time Liebenberg converted to give Framesby a 19-7 lead, which they held until the break.

Early in the second half hooker William Moffat ran 30m after forwards had dominated, to score under the uprights. Liebenberg converted once again for Framesby to lead 26-7.

With 10 minutes remaining Kearsney fullback Marshall broke through a number of tackles and, from a subsequent ruck, the ball went to centre Luke Wilson who sniped through, scoring under the crossbar.

Jordan Bamber converted and Kearsney had narrowed the gap to 14-26.

In an entertaining finish Kearsney kept the pressure on Framesby and centre Connor de Bruyn scored, converted by Bamber, to bring their points to 21-26.

Point scorers:
Framesby: Tries Brandt, Claassen, Grobler, Moffat; Conversions Liebenberg (3)
Kearsney: Tries Wilson, Marshall, De Bruyn; Conversions Carmichael, Bamber (2)


DHS 12 EG Jansen 39

After a full day of running rugby and a darkening sky, two jerseys, both navy and yellow, made it difficult for the referee and spectators alike. EG Jansen did have a yellow stripe over the shoulders which helped slightly.


Septic tank & sludge pit drainage? Why let your emotions drain you? John Smithers has got your back. email


The visitors to KZN went into a 3-0 lead after five minutes when Kyle Potgieter converted a penalty. This was increased five minutes later, when flank Jandre Odendaal showed pace and strength to dot down, but the conversion was inside, leaving EG Jansen 8-0 up.

With DHS defending and EG running with the ball, an intercept by Brian Dosemba led to an 80m dash to score under the poles, which Shakur la Douce converted, bringing the score to 7-8 which remained until the halftime whistle.

Early in the second half, a mistake by the DHS defence saw a pop kick land in the hands of Odendaal who strolled over for his second try, converted by Potgieter, for a 15-7 lead.

EG Jansen eighthman Franco Enslin beat the defence to score and increase their lead to 20-7.

With DHS’ heads beginning to sag, prop Brandon Pienaar forced his way over, this time converted by Jason Edward, for the Boksburg boys to lead 27-7.

DHS responded when centre Macneil Jenner scored after a move down the left flank to increase their score to 12.


PMB-based Clox Scoreboards will never let you down.


EG Jansen were not finished though, and flyhalf Leshley October dotted down to increase their lead to 32-12. With time up on the clock, Duane Bloem scored the final try, converted by Edwards, for a 39-12 win.

Point scorers:
EG Jansen: Tries Odendaal (2), Enslin, Pienaar, October, Bloem; Conversions Potgieter, Edwards (2); Penalty Potgieter
DHS: Tries Dosember, Jenner; Conversion La Douce


Other results
Welkom Gim 32 HTS Drostdy 16; Transvalia 17 PBHS 22; Noordkaap 27 HTS Middelburg 21


Get in the driving seat with the best in the business. Contact Trish right now at

Leave a Reply